Glean are looking for a talented, passionate Software Engineer who wants to be part of a small, beautifully formed and growing engineering team. We are focussed on pragmatic delivery with quality at the centre of everything we do. We use a mixture of front-end (TypeScript, React) and back-end technologies (JVM / Kotlin), with an automated build pipeline (Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm). We are trusted by the business to own our technology stack and processes and repay this trust by delivering regularly and predictably. We aspire to be the best engineering team we can be, by constantly asking, "given what we know now, is there anything we should change?".
What are the role’s key responsibilities?
As a Software Engineer your role is to build and implement functional software. You will work with other engineers and the Product Team throughout the software development life cycle. You will help to support the software delivered by the engineering team. Reporting to the Head of Engineering, your responsibilities include:
Responsibilities - Technical
- Produce clean, efficient code based on requirements.
- Produce maintainable code.
- Focus on testability of delivered solutions.
- Integrate software components and third-party programs.
- Verify and deploy programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software.
- Recommend and execute technical improvements.
- Learn and develop your technical expertise in areas relevant to Glean.
- Support releases as they progress through test environments to production (live) environments.
Responsibilities - Interpersonal
- Foster a fun, safe environment for engineering based upon trust, collaboration and respect.
- Mentor other engineers when you have domain expertise that they have yet to acquire.
- Passionate views, loosely held - argue your point of view passionately but be willing to accept that the needs of others or the group or the business may mean that other approaches are adopted.
- Assume we are all well intentioned and want the best for Glean.
Your Professional Experience
- Preferably educated to degree level or equivalent in a STEM subject.
- Strong programming skills (object oriented and/ or functional).
- Mobile technologies (Android and/ or iOS).
- Persistence (mainly SQL, specifically PostgreSQL), some NoSQL.
- Knowledge of best practices in automated testing, Continuous Integration, Automated deployment, code quality etc.
Not every one of the above is essential, but hopefully it gives an idea what we find useful day to day.
Ways of working
Whilst we love having people in the office, we do support UK remote working, hybrid working and office based employees. We do have expectations for all employees to be in a minimum of once a quarter for company events. We support part time working.
Working arrangements would be discussed at interview.