Engineering Team Lead
Join the team and share our mission to empower millions of learners to build useful knowledge.Apply
As an Engineering Team Lead, your role is to support teams in building and implementing functional software while continuing to contribute yourself. This is a role where you will continue to master your craft, whether that is a Software Engineer, a Software Tester or an SRE/DevOps Engineer while supporting a maximum of six Engineers through line management and coaching. You will work with other Engineers and the Product team throughout the software development life cycle. You will help to support the software delivered by the development team.
Responsibilities - Technical
- Produce clean, efficient code based on requirements.
- Produce maintainable code.
- Focus on testability of delivered solutions.
- Integrate software components and third-party programs.
- Verify and deploy programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software.
- Recommend and execute technical improvements.
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting.
- Learn and develop your technical expertise in areas relevant to Glean.
- Support releases as they progress through test environments to production (live) environments.
Responsibilities - Line Management
Purpose and process
- Assist in communicating and creating an understanding of the company and functional goals.
- Provide clear direction and purpose for direct reports.
- Create a nurturing culture where direct reports feel motivated and empowered to deliver.
- Help communicate company goals, visions and key messages and communicate information upwards.
- Provide coaching and performance feedback through regular meetings to allow direct reports to give feedback that is listened to, and where appropriate actioned/ escalated.
- Be proactive in managing employee relations, dealing with situations and issues that may arise as quickly and effectively as possible.
- Ensure that training needs are met.
- Ensure a fit for purpose onboarding programme for new starters.
- Work closely with the People team for support and guidance on all elements of the employee lifecycle as well as strategic planning initiatives.
- Take an active role in all recruitment activities for your function.
- Work with the wider team to establish interview questions and interview tasks that will identify talented candidates.
Responsibilities - Personal
- Foster a fun, safe environment for engineering based upon trust, collaboration and respect.
- Mentor other developers when you have domain expertise that they have yet to acquire.
- Passionate views, loosely held - argue your point of view passionately but be willing to accept that the needs of others or the group or the business may mean that other approaches are adopted.
Ways of working
Whilst we love having people in the office, we do support UK remote working, hybrid working and office based employees. We do have expectations for all employees to be in a minimum of once a quarter for company events. We support part time working.
Working arrangements would be discussed at interview.